What is Remesh?
Remesh is an online platform that allows you to connect with large audiences to collect qualitative data while using AI to make organizing and analyzing your large amounts of data quick and easy. If you have never interacted with the Remesh platform before, it may be helpful to review a demo video of our platform. We have a video specific to Employee Research and one specific to Market Research.
In addition, Remesh has two product offerings: Live and Flex. In this guide we will be covering how to get started with our Live offering, if you'd like to get started with our Flex offering, click here.
Setting up a Remesh Live Conversation can be broken down into three key steps:
Step 1: Building the Conversation
Building a conversation in Remesh is like setting your foundation. It allows you to customize the participant experience and outline questions that you think you would like to ask during your Conversation so you are well prepared to moderate. Watch the following video to learn more about how to create your conversation and program your discussion guide.
- You can create your Billable Conversation at any time and continue coming back to make edits over time. As you edit your conversation, the participant link will not change.
- You can create as many Nonbillable Conversations as you'd like to practice the functionality outlined in the video above.
- As you are developing your discussion guide, keep in mind that each question will be assigned an amount of time that participants will be allotted to complete the question. Developing your Discussion Guide is very time-based as a result and we recommend deciding on your allotted amount of time for your Live Conversation then pre-programming about 80% of that time and leaving the remaining 20% for live probing.
- How to Program Your Discussion Guide
- Remesh Question Types
- Recruitment Best Practices: Market Research
- Recruitment Best Practices: Employee Research
- Conversation Checklist
Step 2: Moderating Your Conversation
Live Conversations require a Moderator to send questions to participants and allows you to Analyze in real time. On the day of your Conversation you can access the Moderator space by clicking the Live button on your Conversation. Read more about how to moderate your Conversation!
- We recommend practicing Moderation either by accessing our in-platform Simulation (live.remesh.chat → Getting Started → Practice) or Practice using an example discussion guide or practice Moderation with your own discussion guide.
- Remember that you can use AutoSend throughout your Conversation if you need to step away, multitask, or if you simply would like a break from actively Moderating!
- Analyzing the Data in Real Time
- Ending Your Conversation
- Flagging and Muting Inappropriate Participants
Step 3: Post Conversation Analysis
Before digging into analysis, we recommend taking a look through an overview of Remesh's metrics which provides descriptions of our key metrics and how we recommend using them in your analysis. Once you have ended your Conversation, you will immediately have access to a variety of Analysis tools. Below are a few we recommend getting started with.
- Summarize: Generate initial summaries from your open end data (Requires LLM Features to be enabled)
- Auto Code: Automatically tag and organize themes from open end responses (Requires LLM Features to be enabled)
- TopLine PowerPoint Download: Download our Topline PowerPoint which generates a handful of slides for each question and can quickly be edited and shared with key stakeholders. Pair this with Summarize to add an automated executive summary as well!
- Post Conversation Analysis Results: Dig into data deeper on a question by question basis.
- If you'd like to capture additional data asynchronously following your Remesh Live, you can reopen your Live conversation as a Flex conversation. This will allow you to continue capturing feedback, while combining the data from your Live and Flex Conversations all in one place.
With these resources at your disposal, you're well on your way to orchestrating impactful discussions and extracting meaningful insights. If you have any questions or need further assistance feel free to access the chat feature on the Remesh dashboard to get in touch with the Remesh team!